Around 55 thousand pupils haven’t returned to class since primary schools opened on Monday, according to a survey conducted by the general association of school leaders AVS among over 1,100 school directors. Their parents keep them home out of concern that they will be infected by the coronavirus. Despite these absences, almost all school leaders are happy with how the transition from home schooling to back to class went, NOS reports.
Only 10 percent of schools had full attendance. The other 90 percent had one or more pupils not come in. “Often it was 1 or 2 percent of the pupils, but in 8 percent of schools, more than 10 percent of pupils are not yet at school,” AVS chairperson Petra van Haren said to the broadcaster. According to her, many schools are concerned about still offering these kids distance learning while also dealing with a class full of pupils.