Through flexible approaches, it aims to provide opportunity to both study and make a living at the same time for the target learners.
Implementing organization: Department of Non-Formal Education (DNFE), Cambodian Volunteers for Community Development (CVCD)
(Funding) partner organization: ILO, IPEC, UNESCO
Year of Launch: 2008
Policy Support Mechanism
- Developed policy on NFE Equivalency Programme in 2008
- Policy on NFE-EP is within the framework of continuing education and replace the existing complementary education programmes.
- School drop-outs
- Children from poor family
- Child labours/working children, out of school children and domestic working children
- Ethnic minority groups
- Orphans and children living in poor or disadvantaged areas
- DNFE developed curriculum and learning materials equivalent upto grade 6 of primary education with the support of ILO/IPEC and UNESCO.
- Contents: 70 % from formal education, 30 % from life skills.
Duration: 700-750 hours
Integration into formal Education/Accrediation Certification system
Case from CVCD: Since the programme started, CVCD has sent 111 students to study at public school.
Teachers’ Recruitment and Training
- Provide pedagogy training course trained by professors from NFED.
- Conduct regularly montly meeting to share experience.
Students’ Assessment of learning: Conduct CVCD internal exams
Monitoring/Evaluation system: Conduct inspection by the DNFE officers to evaluate and improve the weaknesses
Conduct quarterly meeting with parents of students in each community in order to encourage them to let their children to go to school regularly.
- Difficulty in monitoring due to far location of the community schools.
- Since some community students do not have permanent house in the community, they move out without informing to the program officer or community leader;
- Insufficient time of studying because parents ask their children to help making income for the family.
- Lack of parents’ understanding and support for the value of children’s education.
[box]Source of info: